And of course, like every other person in the world, one of the changes I wanted to make was to my diet, however, I wanted to go about it in a sustainable way. Instead of drastically cutting out every sugary and fatty (and delicious) food in my diet, I wanted to change one thing every two or three weeks.
The first change? Swapping hot chocolate for green tea.
Every day when I get home from college after spending 45 minutes on a freezing cold bus, I would find myself reaching for the hot chocolate. Now I am a massive lover of hot chocolates and I am not about to completely deprive myself of something I feel so passionately about, but I do always find myself feeling sluggish instead of refreshed after indulging in it. Hence the swap. The plan is to turn hot chocolate into a treat, drinking it just once a week as opposed to 5 or 6 times!
The Benefits of Green Tea
- It boosts the metabolism and increases fat burning... of course the extent to which this works is dependent on the individuals lifestyle (diet and exercise) but never say no to a helping hand!
- It contains an outstanding amount of antioxidants (flavonoids and catechins) which reduce the number of free radicals in the body and therefore can help to reduce the chance of cancer
- It contains just the right amount of caffeine to boosts your energy levels yet maintain them at a stable rate and the caffeine works with a special amino acid to boost brain function too
- It lowers the risk of type II diabetes by improving insulin levels and reducing blood sugar levels
- It kills certain types of bacteria, giving it the ability to lower the risk of infections
These are just 5 of the reasons as to why green tea is so beneficial to your body and I highly recommend trying it if you are yet to do so.
I am currently trying out Tetley Green Tea, a trusted and basic brand, though there are so many others to try! Please leave any recommendations down below on the teas you have been loving!